[MARMAM] New paper: Ecosystem shifts inferred from Antarctic fur seals stable isotopes

Renan Lima renancdl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:09:14 PDT 2022

Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my coauthors, I'm happy to share our new paper: "Ecosystem
shifts inferred from long-term stable isotope analysis of male Antarctic
fur seal *Arctocephalus gazella* teeth" which was recently published in the
Marine Ecology Progress Series.

de Lima RC, Cebuhar JD, Negrete J, Ferreira A, Secchi ER, Botta S (2022)
Ecosystem shifts inferred from long-term stable isotope analysis of male
Antarctic fur seal *Arctocephalus gazella* teeth. Mar Ecol Prog Ser
695:203-216. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps14112

ABSTRACT: The Atlantic sector of the Southern Ocean has been rapidly
changing over the last century. Many of those changes are driven by climate
anomalies such as the El Niño−Southern Oscillation and the Southern Annular
Mode, which affect biological processes that scale up the food web. We used
δ13C and δ15N time series of dentine growth layer groups (as a proxy of
individual foraging history from multiple years, n = 41 teeth) to assess
temporal shifts in foraging habits of subadult/adult male Antarctic fur
seals *Arctocephalus gazella* (AFSs) in 2 areas of high concentration of
Antarctic krill *Euphausia superba*: the South Shetland Islands and the
South Orkney Islands. Our analyses, which represent the first long-term
isotopic assessment of male AFS sampled in Antarctic waters, revealed a
significant decrease of δ13C (0.04‰ yr−1) from 1974 to 2015 and a decrease
of δ15N after the late 1990s. The observed changes are likely driven by
shifts in latitudinal and longitudinal distribution of krill and increased
incorporation of 15Nenriched sources (higher trophic level prey and/or
feeding in different areas) in the most recent period for reasons that are
not yet clear. We were able to trace ecosystem changes through isotopic
bio-archives of Antarctic fur seals, highlighting the role of this species
as an ecosystem indicator of the trophic cascade effects caused by climate
change in the Southern Ocean.

<https://doi.org/10.3354/meps14112>Please contact me (renancdl at gmail.com)
for a copy or any questions.

Kind regards
Renan Lima

---
*Renan Costa de Lima, MSc*
Doutorando do Programa de Pós-Graduação em Oceanografia Biológica
Laboratório de Ecologia e Conservação da Megafauna Marinha - EcoMega
Instituto de Oceanografia
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande (FURG)

COMNAP Antarctic Fellow 2021

Fone: +55(53)99718994 | e-mail: renancdl at gmail.com
www.researchgate.net/profile/Renan-Lima-2