[MARMAM] Autumn distance sampling workshop series - registration open

Len Thomas len.thomas at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 02:59:43 PDT 2022

Distance sampling is a survey technique widely used to estimate the density and
abundance of marine mammal populations, and other taxa.  The Centre for Research
into Ecological and Environmental Modelling are pleased to announce that we will
be running 3 live online workshops this autumn on aspects of distance sampling.
  Registration is now open.  The two most relevant to marine mammal scientists are:

- Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance, 28 & 31 October
2022.  In marine mammal surveys animals may be missed because they are below the
water and so unavailable to visual observers, or because of difficult sighting
conditions.  (Analogous issues occur for other types of marine mammal survey,
such as passive acoustic surveys.)  We will teach methods for dealing with these
situations, and practical software tools.

- Practical design and simulation to optimise distance sampling surveys, 1, 2 &
4 November 2022.  Good survey design is critical to get the most out of marine
mammal distance sampling surveys, which typically involve high field costs.
Simulation is an inexpensive way to investigate design alternatives and optimize
at the planning stage.  We will demonstrate available free tools for this.

For more details, and to register, go to

https://workshops.distancesampling.org

We are offering one free place on each workshop with the goal of to widening
participation to scientists from countries with fewer resources and groups
traditionally under-represented in wildlife science.  More details are at

http://workshops.distancesampling.org/widening-participation

and the closing date for applications for the widening participation
scholarships is September 5th.

For those with wider interests in ecology, our third workshop is on camera trap
distance sampling, a method seeing increasing use in terrestrial situations
where remotely-operated cameras offer a practical solution to surveying in
hard-to-reach areas with relatively low densities of animals.  That workshop is
relatively soon, 19-23 September and further details are at the above web site.

In addition to the above, we are planning another of our highly successful
introductory distance sampling workshops, likely in November. More details will
be posted in due course.

Best wishes to all, Len Thomas

--
I am a member of the University and College Union and am currently
participating in industrial action to improve UK higher education

--
Len Thomas (he/him) len.thomas at st-andrews.ac.uk lenthomas.org @len_thom
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling

The University of St Andrews is a charity
registered in Scotland, No SC013532.