[MARMAM] New Publication: Morphological Structure of the Aortic Wall in Deep Diving Cetacean Species: Evidence for Diving Adaptation

Simona Sacchini simona.sacchini at ulpgc.es
Thu Aug 18 01:20:20 PDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our paper:

Mompeó B, Sacchini S, Quintana MdP, Rivero M, Consoli F, Fernández A, Bernaldo de Quirós Y. Morphological Structure of the Aortic Wall in Deep Diving Cetacean Species: Evidence for Diving Adaptation. Veterinary Sciences. 2022; 9(8):424.

This study analyses the aortic wall structure in nine cetacean species with deep diving habits belonging to four Odontoceti families: Ziphiidae, Kogiidae, Physteridae, and Delphinidae. Samples of ascending, thoracic and abdominal aorta were processed for histological and morphometric studies. The elastic component was higher in the proximal aortic segments, and the muscular elements increased distally in all cases. Morphometric analyses showed that all families presented a decrease in the thickness of the arterial wall and the tunica media along the aorta. The reduction was dramatic between ascending and thoracic aorta in the Physeteridae specimens; meanwhile, the other three families showed a more uniform decrease between the ascending, thoracic and abdominal aorta. The decline was not correlated with a reduced elastic or lamellar unit thickness but with a loss of lamellar units. The organization of the elements in the aortic wall did not show essential modifications between the four families, resembling the structure described previously in the shallow and intermediate diving dolphins. Our findings support that the difference in the morphometric characteristics of the different segments in the aortic wall is likely related to the diving habit more than the absolutes values of any other parameter.

You can freely access our manuscript here: https://www.mdpi.com/2306-7381/9/8/424

Kind regards,

Simona Sacchini
Centro Atlántico de Investigación de Cetáceos
Instituto Universitario de Sanidad Animal y Seguridad Alimentaria
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria