[MARMAM] New publication on estimating volume in large whales

Nathan Hirtle nathan.hirtle at stonybrook.edu
Thu Aug 18 11:20:30 PDT 2022

Hi all,

My coauthors and I are excited to share our recent publication with you:

Hirtle, N. O., Stepanuk, J. E. F., Heywood, E. I., Christiansen, F., & Thorne,
L. H. (2022). Integrating 3D models with morphometric measurements to
improve volumetric estimates in marine mammals. *Methods in Ecology and
Evolution*, 00, 1– 13. https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.13962

We integrated UAV-based measurements from humpback whales in the New York
Bight with 3D models constructed in Blender to generate realistic models
that can provide estimates of volume. As was found in previous work, these
scaled 3D models are fairly robust to missing measurements, and with as few
as 5-6 width measurements (out of the 17 measurements taken), we were able
to obtain volume estimates that were within 5% of the models scaled with
all available measurements. We provide code and guidelines for constructing
and scaling 3D models in the hopes that others may find these methods
useful in their own study species, especially large whales.

Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions!

Cheers,
Nathan Hirtle
nathan.hirtle at stonybrook.edu