[MARMAM] New publication: In-air acoustic repertoire and associated behaviour of crabeater seals

Fannie Shabangu fannie.shabangu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 14:22:28 PDT 2022

Dear MARMAM Colleagues,
On behalf of my co-authors, I am delightedto announce the publication of our recent paper:

Shabangu FW, Hofmeyr GJG, Probert R, ConnanM, Buhrmann CA, Gridley T. 2022. In-air acoustic repertoire and associatedbehaviour of wild juvenile crabeater seals during rehabilitation. Bioacoustics,https://doi.org/10.1080/09524622.2022.2108145

Abstract

In-air sounds of pinnipeds are importantfor interactions with conspecifics and threat displays. However, little isknown about the in-air acoustic repertoire and associated behaviour ofcrabeater seals Lobodon carcinophaga. We investigated the in-airacoustic repertoire and associated behaviour of two male and one female wild juvenilecrabeater seals that beached separately, and were rehabilitated in Durban andGqeberha, South Africa. In-air sounds were visually identified and categorisedinto five classes validated via random forest model classification: brief,intermediate, and long moan calls, croaks, and hisses. Hisses were common (n =25,105 sounds from 136 hrs of acoustic recordings) and detected during heightenedarousal states and interactions with animal care staff and a conspecific.Furthermore, hisses were also recorded in low arousal states during exhalation.Moan calls (n = 241) were only detected from two of the three seals. Duringrehabilitation, the female seal ceased producing moan calls and later produced aseries of croaks (n = 204). Acoustic characteristics of in-air moan callsdiffered from published underwater moan calls according to duration, minimum,and maximum frequencies, and pulse repetition rate. Our study shows that thein-air acoustic repertoire and associated behaviour of these Antarctic sealsare dynamic, vary inter-individually and are context dependent.

The first 50 copies of the paper can be freelydownloaded at: https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/DC7NMQUW99GKMEBB7PHY/full?target=10.1080/09524622.2022.2108145.Otherwise, please don't hesitate to email me for a PDF copy or if you have questions/comments.

Bestregards,
Fannie _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Fannie W.Shabangu, PhD
MarineBiologist
Departmentof Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment
Cape Town,South Africa
Mobile: +2774 220 0210
Tel: +27 21402 3553
ResearchFellow