[MARMAM] New publication on the foraging behavior of Baird's beaked whales (Berardius baiirdi)

Annamaria DeAngelis - NOAA Federal annamaria.deangelis at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 16 06:43:58 PDT 2022

Could the message below be posted on MARMAM? Thanks!

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the recent publication of our note "Echolocation
depths and acoustic foraging behavior of Baird's beaked whales (Berardius
bairdii) based on towed hydrophone recordings" in Marine Mammal Science. A
group of 12 Baird's beaked whales were tracked using a towed hydrophone
array off the coast of Oregon. Three dives were observed, two without
vocalizations, and one with echolocation, burst pulses, and whistles. Of
the 12 individuals, 7 individuals were recorded on the array, and depths
were estimated for 4 of the 7 individuals. The full dive profile could not
be calculated, but the latter portion of the dive contained depths ranging
from 330-880 m.

Feel free to contact Annamaria at annamaria.deangelis at noaa.gov for any
questions or a PDF. Please expect a delay in response as I am away on
maternity leave and am not actively monitoring my email.

Citation
DeAngelis, A. I., Barlow, J., Gillies, D., & Ballance, L. T. (2022).
Echolocation depths and acoustic foraging behavior of Baird's beaked whales
(Berardius bairdii) based on towed hydrophone recordings. Marine Mammal
Science, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12958

Cheers,

Annamaria
Research Biologist
NEFSC PSB Passive Acoustics Research Group
<https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/new-england-mid-atlantic/endangered-species-conservation/passive-acoustic-research-atlantic-ocean>
--

Annamaria DeAngelis

Research Biologist | Passive Acoustics Research Group | NEFSC

NOAA Fisheries | U.S. Department of Commerce

Office: (508) 495-2105

Fax: (508) 495-2066