[MARMAM] Last-minute opportunity for paid marine mammal observer position in Olympia, WA, USA

laura at oceansinitiative.org laura at oceansinitiative.org
Mon Aug 8 17:16:18 PDT 2022

Flexibility is key to marine mammal science! We are reposting this ad because our project has moved to Olympia WA. We are seeking an additional field technician to help us monitor seal behavior 15 August to early October. This is an ideal opportunity for a local, early career person looking for paid field experience in marine mammal research. This is a temporary, seasonal, contract position. Technicians can expect to work 4 or 5 days a week for 6-7 hour shifts. The successful applicant must be flexible to the project scheduling needs and available to work on weekends.

Project Objective: Oceans Initiative <https://oceansinitiative.org/> (OI) is a non-profit research organization based out of Seattle that focuses on the conservation of marine wildlife in the Pacific Northwest and around the world. OI is entering our third year of research <https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/researchers-test-underwater-noisemaker-to-scare-away-seals-at-ballard-locks/> into the effectiveness of the GenusWave Targeted Acoustic Startle Technology (TAST) developed by our colleagues at University of St Andrews as a non-lethal deterrent for pinnipeds preying on endangered salmon at human-built bottlenecks, such as dams and fish ladders. The goal of the TAST is to reduce pinniped predation pressure on endangered salmon populations.

Observer duties:
Conduct platform-based observations of harbor seals/sea lions
Record data using Google forms
Photograph seals opportunistically for individual ID
Perform outreach to general public about the TAST project and Oceans Initiative’s mission
Communicate with the project lead at the beginning/end of every shift
Keep detailed record of surveys and other information in field notes
Backup and upload data promptly at the office.
Keep track of and maintain gear including DSLR camera, GoPro, SD cards, binoculars, range-finder.

Preferences:
Prior experience conducting field work, specifically experience with harbor seal or marine mammal behavioral observations
Prior experience with photo ID/photography welcome
Requirements:
Excellent communication skills, comfortable interacting with members of the public and representing Oceans Initiative
Willing to work weekends/holidays, outside rain or shine.
Project takes place at Tumwater Falls fish ladder. The successful applicant should be local to Olympia area, and able to transport themselves to and from the study location daily. Housing and transport will not be provided

To apply: Please send your CV, cover letter, and list of two references to:
Laura Bogaard, field at oceansinitiative.org <mailto:field at oceansinitiative.org>
Applications due by: ASAP, with a decision made by 15 August.
Positions available: 1 (to join an existing team)
Wage: $20/hr