[MARMAM] New Publication on vocal behaviour of humpback whales at the Vema Seamount

Erin Ross-Marsh eclaireza at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 02:04:40 PDT 2022

On behalf of my co-authors, I am happy to announce the publication of our
new article regarding the vocal behaviour of humpback whales near the Vema
Seamount.

This article is open access and available athttps://
asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/10.0010072

Reference: Ross-Marsh, E.C., Elwen, S.H., Fearey, J., Thompson, K.F.,
Maack, T. and Gridley, T., 2022. Detection of humpback whale (Megaptera
novaeangliae) non-song vocalizations around the Vema Seamount, southeast
Atlantic Ocean. JASA Express Letters, 2(4), p.041201.

Abstract:
Humpback whales are a cosmopolitan, highly vocal species. Investigated here
are their vocalizations recorded at the Vema Seamount (31°38′S, 08°20′E)
from moored hydrophones in the austral spring of 2019. During the 11-d
recording period over 600 non-song calls were detected. Calls were
predominantly detected at night over three consecutive days. The most
common calls were low, frequency-modulated sounds (whups). An impulsive
sound (gunshot) previously unknown in humpback whales was also detected.
The location and timing of the calls suggests that humpback whales may be
using the Vema Seamount as a temporary stop on their migration to their
polar feeding grounds.

Best regards,

*Erin Ross-Marsh*
*PhD Candidate*