[MARMAM] New paper on seasonal and diel trends of D and SEP calls of Chilean blue whales

Laura Redaelli laura.redaelli.95 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:20:39 PDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our study
entitled "Seasonal trends and diel patterns of downsweep and SEP calls in
Chilean blue whales" in the Journal of Marine Science and Engineering.

Authors: Redaelli Laura, Mangia Woods Sari, Landea Rafaela, Sayigh Laela.

The abstract can be found below and the full open access paper at:
JMSE | Free Full-Text | Seasonal Trends and Diel Patterns of Downsweep and
SEP Calls in Chilean Blue Whales (mdpi.com)
<https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/10/3/316>

For any further information, please reach out to laura.redaelli.95 at gmail.com

Best regards,
Laura

Abstract:
To learn more about the occurrence and behaviour of a recently discovered
population of blue whales, passive acoustic data were collected between
January 2012 and April 2013 in the Chiloense ecoregion of southern Chile.
Automatic detectors and manual auditing were used to detect blue whale
songs (SEP calls) and D calls, which were then analysed to gain insights
into temporal calling patterns. We found that D call rates were extremely
low during winter (June–August) but gradually increased in spring and
summer, decreasing again later during fall. SEP calls were absent for most
winter and spring months (July–November) but increased in summer and fall,
peaking between March and April. Thus, our results support previous studies
documenting the austral summer residency of blue whales in this region,
while suggesting that some individuals stay longer, highlighting the
importance of this area as a blue whale habitat. We also investigated the
daily occurrence of each call type and found that D calls occurred more
frequently during dusk and night hours compared to dawn and day periods,
whereas SEP calls did not show any significant diel patterns. Overall,
these findings help to understand the occurrence and behaviour of
endangered Chilean blue whales, enhancing our ability to develop
conservation strategies in this important Southern Hemisphere habitat.

--
*Laura Redaelli*
Marine Biology MSc.