[MARMAM] Spring distance sampling workshop series - registration open

Len Thomas len.thomas at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 14:42:25 PDT 2022

Distance sampling is a survey technique widely used to estimate the
density and abundance of marine mammal populations, and other taxa.  The
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling are
pleased to announce that we will be running 2 live online workshops this
May on aspects of distance sampling.  Registration is now open.  The
workshops are:

- Practical design and simulation to optimise distance sampling surveys,
9-12 May 2022.  Good survey design is critical to get the most out of
marine mammal distance sampling surveys, which typically involve high
field costs.  Simulation is an inexpensive way to investigate design
alternatives and optimize at the planning stage.  We will demonstrate
available free tools for this.

- Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance, 17-18 May
2022.  In marine mammal surveys animals may be missed because they are
below the water and so unavailable to visual observers, or because of
difficult sighting conditions.  (Analogous issues occur for other types
of marine mammal survey, such as passive acoustic surveys.)  We will
teach methods for dealing with these situations, and practical software
tools.

For more details, and to register, go to

https://workshops.distancesampling.org

We are offering one free place on each workshop with the goal of to
widening participation to scientists from countries with fewer resources
and groups traditionally under-represented in wildlife science.  More
details are at

http://workshops.distancesampling.org/widening-participation

and the closing date for applications for the widening participation
scholarships is April 18th.