[MARMAM] _Fin Whale Project Internship/research assistant positions Barcelona 2022__

edmaktub edmaktub at edmaktub.org
Tue Oct 12 23:49:24 PDT 2021

*_Fin Whale Project Internship/research assistant positions Barcelona
2022__*

**

Dear colleagues,

Research association Edmaktub is now accepting applications for fin
whale research Internships for winter/spring 2022. The internships will
run from February to June 2022, majorly on the research boat, and
requires preparation time. We are especially interested in master
students seeking to do a master’s research project.

Edmaktub Association is a non-profit organization studying fin whale
presence and behavior, and the biological and oceanographical conditions
that influence fin whale presence on the coast between Barcelona and
Tarragona, northeastern Spain. During the campaign, Edmaktub also
collects information on other cetaceans, sea birds, fish, and sea turtles.

For the 2022 fin whale project, we are looking for research
assistants/interns to complete the team. The positions are unpaid.
Interns must cover their accommodation and living expenses. Edmaktub
offers an apartment in which a room can be rented. The positions will be
assigned preferably by the middle of November

Qualifications

-Must be currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an accredited
college or university; preference will be given to students working
towards biology, environmental studies, marine science, veterinary
medicine, education, mathematics, artificial intelligence, or other
related fields. If you do not fit this profile but think you can
contribute anyway, please contact us.

-Must demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.

-Must be dedicated, flexible, responsible, hardworking, willing to
learn, and have attention to detail. Interest or experience in the
Spanish and Catalan languages are preferred.

-Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.

-Must be willing to engage in a positive and informative manner with the
general public regularly.

-Must expect to work on a full-time basis, which can include early
morning and late nights.

-Must be living close by the Garraf area or willing to relocate
Villanova I la Geltrú.

What is expected from you?

-Preparation of your research line to start research in February 2022

-Daily participation in the 2022 marine surveys of the Fin Whale Project

-Responsibility for the tasks associated with your research line

-Involvement in several tasks that are part of running an association
(general data entry, fundraising, marketing/social media, communication,
educational events and talks)

-At the end of the internship, the intern will deliver a written report
regarding the work carried out and a presentation about their experience
and projects to staff and volunteers.

What do you get?

-You get the possibility to establish your research in the form of
master’s research project and/or an article for publication.

-You get to go out sailing on the ocean together with a team of
motivated people for three months, studying one of the most majestical
animals that exist.

-Guidance trough your project and feedback on your research

-A platform in which to gain experience in the field study of cetaceans
and an entry to the broad scientific and professional network of Edmaktub

We currently have several research interests and priorities. We need
people that can commit to the process of matching ID shots and updating
our catalogue. Our general interests go to oceanography (and possible
implications of climate change), behavior (behavioral descriptions,
social behavior, etcetera), acoustics, marine pollution, and ocean
health (plastic debris, boats, fishing). We would also love projects in
collaboration with the local fishermen, or drone images related studies
(i.e. animal health assessments...) See
https://www.edmaktub.org/en/fin-whale-project
<https://www.edmaktub.org/en/fin-whale-project> andyoutube channel
edmaktub https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGUtaoi-cOqNtRU7qRRdlg
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGUtaoi-cOqNtRU7qRRdlg> for more
information and the previous projects that have been carried out.
Everything is open for discussion. In addition to research projects, we
are looking for interns that can help us with social media, marketing,
grant writing and website building.

Please realize that daily ocean surveys can be physically challenging
and require a strong will and motivation. We value strong collaborative
skills, a positive attitude, and a willingness to help others to learn.
We appreciate our interns and take good care of each other. Do you think
you are a good fit for the team? We would love to hear from you and get
in touch as soon as possible.

How to apply? Send your resume and a cover letter including your
research interests regarding this project to info at edmaktub.org. Mention
‘FWP22’ in the email subject. Due to the high number of applications, it
can take time to get a response.

Kind regards,

Edmaktub team

Eduard Degollada Bastos DVM PhD