[MARMAM] New publications on PFAS and Plastics

Karen Stockin K.A.Stockin at massey.ac.nz
Tue Oct 12 18:13:17 PDT 2021

Kia ora MARMAM subscribers,

My colleagues and I would like to announce the publication of the following articles;

K.A. Stockin S. Yi, G.L. Northcott, E.L. Betty, G.E. Machovsky-Capuska, B. Jones, M.R. Perrott, R.J. Law, A. Rumsby, M.A. Thelen , L. Graham, E.I. Palmer & L.A. Tremblay (2021)
Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), trace elements and life history parameters of mass-stranded common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) in New Zealand. Marine Pollution Bulletin 173(A)  https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2021.112896 or HERE<https://www.cetaceanecology.org/journal-articles>

Abstract:
Profiles of 33 PFAS analytes and 12 essential and non-essential trace elements were measured in livers of stranded common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) from New Zealand. PFAS concentrations reported were largely comparable to those measured in other marine mammal species globally and composed mostly of long-chain compounds including perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS), perfluorododecanoic acid (PFDoDA), perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) and perfluorooctanesulfonamide (FOSA). PFAS profiles did not vary significantly by location, body condition, or life history. Notably, significant positive correlations were observed within respective PFAS and trace elements. However, only negative correlations were evident between these two contaminant types, suggesting different exposure and metabolic pathways. Age-associated concentrations were found for PFTrDA and four trace elements, i.e. silver, mercury, cadmium, selenium, indicating differences in the bioaccumulation biomagnification mechanisms. Overall, our results contribute to global understanding of accumulation of PFAS by offering first insights of PFAS exposure in cetaceans living within South Pacific Australasian waters.

Santos RG, Machovsky-Capuska GE, Andrades R (2021)
Plastic ingestion as an evolutionary trap: toward a holistic understanding. Science 373 (6550): 56-60. https://www.science.org/lookup/doi/10.1126/science.abh0945 or HERE<https://www.cetaceanecology.org/journal-articles>

Abstract:
Human activities are changing our environment. Along with climate change and a widespread loss of biodiversity, plastic pollution now plays a predominant role in altering ecosystems globally. Here, we review the occurrence of plastic ingestion by wildlife through evolutionary and ecological lenses and address the fundamental question of why living organisms ingest plastic. We unify evolutionary, ecological, and cognitive approaches under the evolutionary trap theory and identify three main factors that may drive plastic ingestion: (i) the availability of plastics in the environment, (ii) an individual’s acceptance threshold, and (iii) the overlap of cues given by natural foods and plastics

Ngā tauwhirotanga o te wā

Karen

Karen A Stockin, PhD
Professor – Marine Biology
Rutherford Discovery Fellow – Royal Society Te Aparangi

Cetacean Ecology Research Group | School of Natural and Computational Sciences | Massey University
Private Bag 102 904, North Shore, Auckland 0745, New Zealand
Physical Address: Building 5, Gate 4, The Station Crescent, Albany, Auckland, New Zealand

[cid:image001.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0] +64 (0)21 423997   •  k.a.stockin at massey.ac.nz<mailto:k.a.stockin at massey.ac.nz>   •  http://www.cetaceanecology.org<http://www.cetaceanecology.org/>

[cid:image002.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0]<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Karen_Stockin>  [cid:image003.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0] <https://scholar.google.co.nz/citations?user=3veDZKUAAAAJ&hl=en>   [cid:image004.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0] <https://twitter.com/karen_stockin>   [cid:image005.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0] <https://www.facebook.com/CetaceanEcologyOrg/posts/3281214818613245>    [cid:image006.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0] <https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/expertise/profile.cfm?stref=926050>   [cid:image007.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0] <https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/explore/research/animal-veterinary/animal/marine/marine_home.cfm>
[cid:image008.png at 01D7C036.F9BA92C0]<https://www.cetaceanecology.org/>