[MARMAM] Updates and Call for Abstracts & Tutorials for the 9th DCLDE

Erin Oleson - NOAA Federal erin.oleson at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 13 20:34:16 PDT 2021

Aloha Marine Mammal Community,

We have several updates related to the 9th International Workshop on
Detection, Classification, Localization and Density Estimation (DCLDE) of
Marine Mammals using Passive Acoustics. As previously noted, the workshop
has been rescheduled for March 7-11, 2022 and will take place in Waikiki,
Hawaii. You can find all workshop updates, including necessary adjustments
related to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, on the DCLDE 2022 website
<https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ore/dclde/>.

*Upcoming deadlines:*

The deadline for submitting an abstract for presentation at the workshop is
November 15, 2021.  We especially encourage presentation of work using one
the of the DCLDE annotated datasets** and would like to note the special
session in honor of Dr. Whitlow Au.  The abstract submission form is
available on the Abstracts
<https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ore/dclde/abstracts/> page of the main
workshop website.

Following past tradition, the first day of the workshop will be
dedicated to topic-specific tutorials. Find more information on submitting
a tutorial proposal on the Tutorial
<https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ore/dclde/tutorials-workshops/> page of the
DCLDE website.  Tutorial proposals are due November 15, 2021.  Selected
tutorials will be announced in early December.

*DCLDE 2022 will be a hybrid meeting.* As the world begins to open up even
while the COVID pandemic continues on, we recognize that some participants
will not be able to join us in-person on Oahu. One of the best parts of
DCLDE is the close interaction and discussion about technical topics, and
while this is easiest to imagine in person, we are committed to supporting
virtual attendance and participation in the workshop.  We are still
finalizing the details of what a hybrid DCLDE will look like and will post
registration costs for both in-person and virtual participation on the
webpage before the November 15 abstract deadline.

COVID-19 vaccination is required for in-person participation in the DCLDE
workshop. Our host venue, the Alohilani Hotel requires proof of vaccination
for all guests and visitors to the hotel. This standard, together with
current requirements for social events and venues on Oahu, as well as those
for international travelers to the USA, necessite this requirement.

If your organization is interested in sponsoring an aspect of DLCDE 2022,
please check out the Sponsors
<https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ore/dclde/sponsors/> page on the DCLDE
website or contact us directly.

**For 2022 the workshop dataset features 47 days of passive acoustic data
collected using a multi-channel towed hydrophone array from a large-scale
cetacean survey in Hawaii. Details and download instructions for the
dataset are available at http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/ore/dclde/dataset/. We
strongly encourage those interested in participating in DCLDE 2022 to
develop and test methods using this dataset, and/or to work with prior
workshop datasets (links are available on the DCLDE 2022 website).

Best regards,
Erin Oleson and Eva-Marie Nosal

DLCDE 2022 Oahu Co-chairs
dclde2020 at gmail.com