[MARMAM] Ship strike questionnaire for vessel crews and managers - request for circulation assistance

James Robbins james.robbins at port.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 01:44:46 PDT 2021

Dear MARMAMers,
I am circulating an online questionnaire to vessel crews and managers,
to gauge their experience and opinions of ship strikes and potential
mitigation measures. Responses will be analysed and used as part of my
PhD at the University of Portsmouth, UK, which focusses on ship strike
risk modelling.

I would appreciate any help that you can offer by circulating the
questionnaire to your networks in the shipping industry. If there are
any questions, please get in contact via james.robbins at port.ac.uk.

Further details are provided for potential participants before the
questionnaire which can be accessed at this address:
https://forms.gle/gYhMkUnF9RUpPexK6. Further details and a blurb are
also given below this email.

Very best wishes,
James Robbins

---------------------------------

Do you spend time at sea, or manage ship operations from land?
Scientists are interested in your experience and opinions on the
frequency of encounters with marine mammals, and potential collisions.
Please share your thoughts via the the following link:
https://forms.gle/gYhMkUnF9RUpPexK6.

Researchers at the University of Portsmouth are looking into the issue
of collisions between ships and marine wildlife. So far this has
included extensive risk modelling, and simulating potential solutions.
However, the researchers would like to understand the wealth of
experience and knowledge that vessel crews and managers have on this
subject, and invite you to complete an online questionnaire so that this
knowledge can be incorporated into recommendations to ensure that they
reflect the practicalities and challenges faced by those working at sea.

Invitation letter
EC Ref No: SHFEC 2021-088
Dear Potential Participant,
I am a PhD student at the University of Portsmouth, interested in
shipping activity and how it co-exists with whales, dolphins and
porpoise.
I am investigating the experience, knowledge, and opinions of people
employed in the shipping industry (who may work on vessels, or manage
them from shore) to whale conservation, and how vessels may affect their
conservation. This research contributes towards the fulfilment of my
PhD, and results of the anonymous responses will be published in a
peer-reviewed journal.
This questionnaire is completely anonymous and voluntary, and you can
choose to participate or not. We are seeking people who are 18 or over,
and either work at sea or manage sea-going activities.
If you do participate, thank you very much! You can leave blank any
questions that you do not feel comfortable answering. If at any point
you decide you no longer wish to participate, you can simply close the
questionnaire. By submitting a response on the Google questionnaire, you
give your consent for myself to use the anonymous data for analysis.
If you decide not to participate, that is okay - thank you for your time
in considering our project.
More information is available on the participant information sheet
below. If you have any queries regarding the questionnaire, please
contact James Robbins (james.robbins at port.ac.uk).

The questionnaire can be accessed at the following link:
https://forms.gle/gYhMkUnF9RUpPexK6

All the best,
James Robbins