[MARMAM] New publication: Seascape Genetics of the Atlantic Spotted Dolphin (Stenella frontalis) Based on Mitochondrial DNA

Karina Amaral karinabohrerdoamaral at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 10:50:24 PDT 2021

Dear MARMAM readers,

My co-authors and I are happy to share our new publication in the Journal
of Heredity:

Karina Bohrer do Amaral, Dalia C Barragán-Barrera, Roosevelt A
Mesa-Gutiérrez, Nohelia Farías-Curtidor, Susana Josefina Caballero Gaitán,
Paula Méndez-Fernandez, Marcos C Oliveira Santos, Caroline Rinaldi, Renato
Rinaldi, Salvatore Siciliano, Vidal Martín, Manuel Carrillo, Ana Carolina O
de Meirelles, Valentina Franco-Trecu, Nelson J R Fagundes, Ignacio Benites
Moreno, L Lacey Knowles, Ana Rita Amaral, Seascape Genetics of the Atlantic
Spotted Dolphin (*Stenella frontalis*) Based on Mitochondrial DNA, *Journal
of Heredity*, 2021; esab050, https://doi.org/10.1093/jhered/esab050

Abstract
The Atlantic spotted dolphin (*Stenella frontalis*) is endemic to tropical,
subtropical, and warm temperate waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Throughout
its distribution, both geographic distance and environmental variation may
contribute to population structure of the species. In this study, we follow
a seascape genetics approach to investigate population differentiation of
Atlantic spotted dolphins based on a large worldwide dataset and the
relationship with marine environmental variables. The results revealed that
the Atlantic spotted dolphin exhibits population genetic structure across
its distribution based on mitochondrial DNA control region (mtDNA-CR) data.
Analyses based on the contemporary landscape suggested, at both the
individual and population level, that the population genetic structure is
consistent with the isolation-by-distance model. However, because geography
and environmental matrices were correlated, and because in some, but not
all analyses, we found a significant effect for the environment, we cannot
rule out the addition contribution of environmental factors in structuring
genetic variation. Future analyses based on nuclear data are needed to
evaluate whether local processes, such as social structure and some level
of philopatry within populations, may be contributing to the associations
among genetic structure, geographic, and environmental distance.

If you get interested in our research, please send an email to
karinabohrerdoamaral at gmail.com to request a PDF.

Best regards,
--
*Karina Bohrer do Amaral*