[MARMAM] New publication: Description of the first acoustic recording of spinner dolphins (Stenella longirostris) from the northern straits of Malacca, Malaysia (Saliza Bono)

Saliza Bono salizabono94 at live.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 00:56:29 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce and share our latest publication:

Bono, S., Kimura, S. S., Kuit, S. H., Ng, J. E., Tanaka, K., Ichikawa, K., and Ponnampalam, L. S. (2021). “Description of the first acoustic recording of spinner dolphins (Stenella longirostris) from the northern straits of Malacca, Malaysia,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 150, 2189–2192. doi:10.1121/10.0006377

Abstract:
Relatively little is known about spinner dolphins in Malaysian waters and the wider Southeast Asian region. This note represents the first known acoustic recording of the species sighted opportunistically in the northern Straits of Malacca. Over a brief 20 min sighting, 46 whistles were recorded and four tonal types were detected, with 54.4% being upsweep whistles. The whistle duration ranged from 36 to 977 ms and the frequency ranged from 6.6 to 23.8 kHz. Fifty-seven click trains with a mean interclick interval of 41.5619.3 ms were detected. These findings provide a baseline for future regional acoustic research on this species.

The publication can be found here: https://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/10.0006377

Feel free to contact me at salizabono94 at live.co.uk if you would like a PDF copy.

Best regards,
Saliza Bono
The MareCet Research Organization, Malaysia
Kyoto University, Japan