[MARMAM] Research Assistants for Orange County Coastkeeper in Laguna Beach, California

Allison Santos allisonjsantos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 18:42:15 PDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Orange County Coastkeeper is accepting applications for volunteers to
assist in their Aliso Beach Berm Buddies Monitoring and Community Outreach
Program! The goal of this program is increased observation, reporting, and
community education to inform decision making by public agencies, protect
the natural environment, and increase visitor safety. The project takes
place in a California State Marine Conservation Area. You will learn marine
animal identification, survey methods, and marine protected area
regulations! This is a temporary volunteer position that runs currently
through December 2021. The work schedule is flexible - three four hour
shifts per week coinciding with low tides during daylight hours.

Position: Research Assistant Volunteer (unpaid)

Location: Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Duration: Present – December 2021 (flexible)

Deadline: October 18, 2021

Responsibilities include:

Collect data for human and wildlife use monitoring program in the vicinity
of the berm, creek, and beaches

Identify and observe marine mammals, birds, vessels, fishing, and beach
activities

Set up field equipment and conduct community outreach and education

Communicate and coordinate with Orange County Rangers and Lifeguards to
protect the berm from anthropogenic breaching

Create social media posts and outreach materials

Must be able to lift 50 pounds and work in variable weather conditions

Travel, housing, and transportation will be the volunteer's responsibility

Please submit your resume and questions to Allison Santos, Orange County
Coastkeeper Project Coordinator, at *alisobermbuddies at gmail.com
<alisobermbuddies at gmail.com>*.

Many thanks, and stay safe,

Allison Santos, M.Sc.

Orange County Coastkeeper Project Coordinator

3151 Airway Ave, Suite F-110

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Orange County Coastkeeper's mission is to protect the region's water
resources so they are swimmable, drinkable and fishable for present and
future generations. We are a nonprofit clean water organization that serves
as a proactive steward of our fresh- and saltwater ecosystems. We work
collaboratively with diverse groups in the public and private sectors to
achieve healthy, accessible, and sustainable water resources for the
region. We implement innovative, effective programs in education, advocacy,
restoration, research, enforcement, and conservation.

Orange County Coastkeeper does not and shall not discriminate on the basis
of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national
origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or
military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed
to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our
staff, volunteers, subcontractors, and members.

Website: https://www.coastkeeper.org

Instagram: @occoastkeeper