[MARMAM] [Rostrum abnormalities in humpback dolphins]

Guilherme Frainer gui.frainer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 02:09:11 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

We are conducting a study on the incidence of rostrum abnormalities (both
wounds and potentially congenital anomalies) in Indian Ocean humpback
dolphins (*Sousa plumbea*) from South Africa. The high number of cases
raised our concern for this critically endangered species.

Currently – the evidence is suggesting the abnormalities are from natural
behaviours not human activities and we are interested to find out if this
could potentially be a shared feature within *Sousa *species/populations (or
even other dolphin species).

 If you have been working with any *Sousa *populations and may have any
recorded cases like the described above we would be very interested to talk
about it. Please, drop me a line through gui.frainer at gmail.com if
interested.

Best,

Gui
--
*Guilherme Frainer*, PhD

Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Statistical Sciences, University of Cape Town
&
Research Fellow
School for Data Science and Computational Thinking, Stellenbosch University
&
Sea Search Research and Conservation
www.seasearch.co.za

+55 51 995518648 (BRA)