[MARMAM] Whalepoint volunteer positions 2022

Hermann Meuter whalepoint at outlook.com
Wed Nov 24 17:26:55 PST 2021

CetaceaLab, aka Whalepoint, is a land based whale research station located in the
territory of the Gitga’at First Nation on Gil Island, British Columbia,
Canada. We are now accepting applications for the 2022 field season from mid
May until the end of September.
All positions are for a minimum of 4-8 weeks in
duration. There is a weekly fee for food. These are volunteer/intern
positions to help with the collection of visual and acoustic data on the
habitat use and abundance of northern resident/transient Killer whales,
Humpback whales and Fin whales. Due to our extreme remote location, applicants
need to be in good physical condition, able to participate with the
daily routine of living off the grid and comfortable sleeping in a tent
in the wilderness of BC.
There are no roads, very limited Internet access, very limited medical
service and power is completely off the grid.
- Daily shifts involve scanning for whales, documenting all sightings and behaviour
and identifying whales.
- Listening and recording all whale vocalizations that are transmitted
to the lab facility from our network of hydrophone stations
 - Data entry from land based and marine vessel-based surveys
- Identification work of all whales from photographs taken in the field
Experience in carpentry, electronics, IT, social media, website
building and environmental communications would be a valuable asset.
Interested applicants should send their CV and a letter of motivation to: whalepoint at outlook.com<mailto:whalepoint at outlook.com>
References will be contacted. More information about our research can be
found at:  www.whalepoint.org<http://www.whalepoint.org>

All the Best and Good Luck,

Hermann Meuter