[MARMAM] New article: Population assessment for humpback whales - alternative method

Guilherme Augusto Bortolotto bortolotto.ga at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 01:37:35 PST 2021

Dear all,

Our new article is now published in PLoS ONE:

Bortolotto GA, Thomas L, Hammond P, Zerbini AN (2021) *Alternative method
for assessment of southwestern Atlantic humpback whale population status*.
PLoS ONE 16(11): e0259541. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0259541

Humpback whales wintering off eastern South America were exploited almost
to the point of extinction. Today, that population is recovering but the
timing is uncertain. In this article, we revise a previous population
status assessment and use an alternative method for model fitting (MCMC),
which will hopefully be more widely accessible to ecologists. Our approach
allowed us to better investigate and reflect scientific uncertainty around
historical population levels. Our approach provides an accessible framework
for investigating the status of depleted animal populations for which
information is available on historical mortality and intermittent estimates
of population size and/or trend.
The detailed R code for implementing the state-space models in this article
are provided in full in the supplementary material.

Open access:
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0259541#pone.0259541.s001

Don't hesitate to get in touch with questions, comments and/or suggestions:
bortolotto.ga at gmail.com/gabdo at st-andrews.ac.uk

All the best,

Guilherme A. Bortolotto (he/him)
Research Fellow | Sea Mammal Research Unit
http://www.smru.st-andrews.ac.uk/person/gabdo/

Project TARSAN
International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration
https://thwaitesglacier.org/index.php/