[MARMAM] New paper: Analysis of integrated acoustic and visual methods when surveying a cetacean community

Larissa Dalpaz laradal_91 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 16 06:06:15 PST 2021

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce our new publication in MEPS.

The paper can be accessed here: https://doi.org/10.3354/meps13898

We compared how visual and acoustic methods performed when surveying a multispecies cetacean community in a large-scale survey. We found that acoustics were more efficient in detecting cetaceans — detecting first and further from the vessel and with a greater detection rate — whereas visual observation was more accurate for species identification. When used together, detection rates per species increased, reducing potential biases. By improving acoustic classification through visually confirmed sightings, this integrated approach has the potential to provide a reliable sound library for cetaceans in the Southwest Atlantic Ocean.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

All the best,
Larissa Dalpaz