[MARMAM] New Paper: Cetacean Strandings From Space

Penny Clarke clarke.pennyj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:34:14 PST 2021

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am delighted to share our new publication:

Cetacean Strandings From Space: Challenges and Opportunities of Very High
Resolution Satellites for the Remote Monitoring of Cetacean Mass Strandings

The paper is in open-access and available online here:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2021.650735/full

Abstract

The study of cetacean strandings was globally recognised as a priority
topic at the 2019 World Marine Mammal Conference, in recognition of its
importance for understanding the threats to cetacean communities and, more
broadly, the threats to ecosystem and human health. Rising multifaceted
anthropogenic and environmental threats across the globe, as well as whale
population recovery from exploitation in some areas, are likely to coincide
with an increase in reported strandings. However, the current methods to
monitor strandings are inherently biased towards populated coastlines,
highlighting the need for additional surveying tools in remote regions.
Very High Resolution (VHR) satellite imagery offers the prospect of
upscaling monitoring of mass strandings in minimally populated/unpopulated
and inaccessible areas, over broad spatial and temporal scales, supporting
and informing intervention on the ground, and can be used to
retrospectively analyse historical stranding events. Here we (1) compile
global strandings information to identify the current data gaps; (2)
discuss the opportunities and challenges of using VHR satellite imagery to
monitor strandings using the case study of the largest known baleen whale
mass stranding event (3) consider where satellites hold the greatest
potential for monitoring strandings remotely and; (4) outline a roadmap for
satellite monitoring. To utilise this platform to monitor mass strandings
over global scales, considerable technical, practical and environmental
challenges need to be addressed and there needs to be inclusivity in
opportunity from the onset, through knowledge sharing and equality of
access to imagery.

If you have any questions related to the paper, please do not hesitate to
get in touch (clarke.pennyj at gmail.com).

To follow the 'Cetacean Strandings from Space' project, please join on
twitter, @PennyJClarke.

Reference:

Clarke PJ, Cubaynes HC, Stockin KA, Olavarría C, de Vos A, Fretwell PT and
Jackson JA (2021) Cetacean Strandings From Space: Challenges and
Opportunities of Very High Resolution Satellites for the Remote Monitoring
of Cetacean Mass Strandings. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:650735.
doi:10.3389/fmars.2021.650735

Best wishes

Penny Clarke

PhD Researcher: British Antarctic Survey/University of Edinburgh

https://www.bas.ac.uk/profile/user_3530-2/

https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/whale-strandings/