[MARMAM] Two messages about new articles.

Sergio Cobarrubia sergio.cobarrubia at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 10:04:51 PST 2021

*Message: 1.*

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our new
paper in Journal of Marine Science:

S. Cobarrubia-Russo, I. Sawyer, M. Gomez-Alceste and A. Molero-Lizarraga
(2021) Site Fidelity and Residency of Tursiops truncatus off the Aragua
Coast, Venezuela-First Records of Long Residency.

ABSTRACT: This study represents the first comprehensive analysis of the
residency patterns of a coastal population of bottlenose dolphin off the
coast of Aragua, Venezuela, over a multi-year period. Using
photo-identification, the most recent study (2019-2020) identified 56
individuals with the time between encounters from one to 344 days between
the first and last sighting. Site Fidelity (SF) and Residence (RES) indices
were calculated and Agglomerative Hierarchical Clustering (AHC) modeling
was performed, with three patterns of residence obtained: resident (25%),
semiresident (17.86%) and transient (57.14%). These results were contrasted
with remodeled data from a previous study (2006-2007), showing similar
patterns: resident (24.44%), semi-resident (28.89%) and transient (46.67%).
Importantly, two individuals were found to have been resident over the
extended period. A breeding female sighted for the first time in 2004 and
again in 2020 (16 years) and the other from 2005 to 2020 (15 years). This
region is an important area for marine mammals, known to support a resident
reproductive population over many years, as well as seabirds, sea turtles,
whale sharks and fishermen. We recommend that consideration be given to
designating the waters as a Marine Protected Area to safeguard the existing
population and provide benefit to the surrounding marine environment.

The full article is Open Access and available online at:
https://doi.org/10.30564/jms.v3i4.3811

Please feel free to contact me (sergio.cobarrubia at gmail.com) with any
questions.

*Message: 2*

Dear MARMAM community,

I am pleased to announce the publication of our new paper in Journal of
Fisheries Research:

S. Cobarrubia-Russo (2021) Home ranges of predators and small sources of
marine biomass.

ABSTRACT: The meaning of the ecological term home range defines an
important ecological aspect of mobile animals and has "evolved" in an
attempt to project the most comprehensive definition. In a study of home
ranges and ranges of two species of coastal dolphins and fishermen on the
western coast of Aragua, Venezuela, South Caribbean, it was observed that
these three species coincided in a specific area, so that a spatial
analysis determined a small and important source of biomass that provides
prey throughout the year for dolphins, fishermen and local people. This
note aims to highlight the ease of defining these areas and their
conservation importance as sources of protein for humans and other predators

Please feel free to contact me (sergio.cobarrubia at gmail.com) to ask for a
full copy.

--
*Sergio Enrique Cobarrubia Russo*
Laboratorio de Ecosistemas y Cambio Global