[MARMAM] New publication: Annual variation of oceanographic conditions changed migration timing of bowhead whales Balaena mysticetus in the southern Chukchi Sea

三谷曜子 mitani.yoko.3w at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 8 04:20:45 PST 2021

Dear all,

On-behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to inform you our new
publication in Polar Biology "Annual variation of oceanographic
conditions changed migration timing of bowhead whales Balaena
mysticetus in the southern Chukchi Sea".

Tsujii, K., Otsuki, M., Akamatsu, T., Amakasu, K., Kitamura, M.,
Kikuchi, T., Fujiwara, A., Shirakawa, H., Miyashita, K. & Mitani, Y.
(2021).

Abstract

The Chukchi Sea environment changes considerably in physical and
biological conditions, driven by the expanding volume of warm Pacific
summer water. These environmental changes can affect the migration
timing of baleen whales in the southern Chukchi Sea. However, few
studies have been conducted in this area to determine the migration
timing of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus), the only baleen whale
species endemic to the Arctic region. In this study, we conducted a
fixed passive acoustic monitoring of bowhead whales in the southern
Chukchi Sea from July 2012 to October 2015 and compared the occurrence
patterns of vocalizations to physical and biological environmental
factors. Bowhead whale calls were detected in fall/winter and spring
during the ice-freezing and retreating periods, respectively. The fall
migration timing of bowhead whales through the southern Chukchi Sea
was delayed in the years when the timing of sea ice formation was
late, and it formed increasingly later in the years 2013, 2014, and
2012, in that sequence. Moreover, the sea surface temperature
decreased before freeze-up, which affected the timing of fall
migration of bowhead whales. There was no clear relationship between
the occurrence of bowhead whale calls and the abundance of prey,
especially in spring, suggesting that most bowhead whales use the
southern Chukchi Sea as a corridor during their spring northward
migrations. However, the occurrence of bowhead whales and high
abundance of zooplankton in October–November present the possibility
that bowhead whales expand their feeding area in the southern Chukchi
Sea.

Here is the link to a view-only version of our paper:

https://rdcu.be/cACsY

If you have a request for a copy of the PDF, please email Koki Tsujii
<kou1114t at gmail.com>, the first author.

Thank you!

Yoko
三谷曜子 Yoko Mitani
京都大学野生動物研究センター 海獣班
〒606-8203 京都市左京区田中関田町2-24
関田南研究棟
Email: mitani.yoko.3w at kyoto-u.ac.jp

Yoko MITANI
Ocean Mammal Team
Wildlife Research Center, Kyoto University
2-24 Tanaka-Sekiden-cho,
Sakyo, Kyoto, 606-8203, Japan
E-mail: mitani.yoko.3w at kyoto-u.ac.jp