[MARMAM] Announcing the release of the Final Recovery Plan and Recovery Implementation Strategy for the endangered main Hawaiian Islands insular false killer whale distinct

Ann Garrett - NOAA Federal ann.garrett at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 3 20:22:23 PDT 2021

Aloha,

I am pleased to share that today NOAA Fisheries released the Final Recovery
Plan and Recovery Implementation Strategy for the main Hawaiian Islands
insular false killer whale distinct population segment. This could not have
been done without the help of so many invaluable and involved stakeholders.

We have used the feedback and information that we received to provide minor
modifications to the recovery objectives, criteria, and actions/activities,
as well as to the threats table, and the time and estimated cost of
recovery actions and activities. We look forward to using these recovery
planning documents as we work with you and others to ensure the survival
and promote the recovery of endangered main Hawaiian Islands insular false
killer whales.   These documents will guide research priorities, inform
management actions, monitor the effectiveness of conservation efforts, and
educate stakeholders and the public on ways in which we can work together
to recover this species. Together, we will collaborate on our ultimate goal
to recover  endangered main Hawaiian Islands insular false killer whales to
the point where the species no longer needs ESA protection.

The final recovery planning documents can be found here:  Final Recovery
Plan and Recovery Implementation Strategy for the Main Hawaiian Islands
Insular False Killer Whale Distinct Population Segment
<https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/resource/document/final-recovery-plan-and-recovery-implementation-strategy-main-hawaiian-islands>

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or
Krista Graham (krista.graham at noaa.gov), our false killer whale recovery
coordinator.

We look forward to working with you to conserve and recover this unique
species.

best regards,

Ann

*Ann M. Garrett*

*Assistant Regional Administrator*

*Protected Resources Division*

*Pacific Islands Regional Office*

NOAA Fisheries | U.S. Department of Commerce

Office: (808) 725-5130

Mobile: (808) 266-0735

www.fisheries.noaa.gov