[MARMAM] Cetacean Sessions

Jared Towers jrtowers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 20:23:36 PDT 2021

Join us via Crowdcast for Cetacean Sessions - a free bi-weekly webinar
series where we discuss impactful cetacean science with those conducting it
around the world. Cetacean Sessions is informal, educational, interactive
and geared towards those studying or interested in cetaceans.

The premier of Cetacean Sessions is Thursday, April 1st at 7:00 pm Pacific
Time. In the first session I will be discussing the research and results my
co-authors and I presented in the publication: Movements and Dive Behaviour
of a Toothfish-Depredating Killer and Sperm Whale (
https://academic.oup.com/icesjms/article/76/1/298/5103434?login=true). Session
#2 on April 15th will be focused on passive feeding behaviour of baleen
whales and will discuss the publications: Tread-water feeding of Bryde’s
whales (https://www.cell.com/current-biology/comments/S0960-9822(17)31243-5)
and
The innovation and diffusion of trap-feeding, a novel humpback whale
foraging strategy
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/mms.12557) with
respective lead authors, Takashi Iwata and Christie McMillan. Session #3 on
April 29th will highlight behavioural responses of odontocetes to dead
conspecifics and will discuss Epimeletic behaviour in a Southern Resident
Killer Whale (Orcinus orca) (
https://www.canadianfieldnaturalist.ca/index.php/cfn/article/view/2555/2593)
with
lead author Taylor Shedd, and in session #4 on May 13th we will chat with
Hal Whitehead about his recent publication: Adaptation of sperm whales to
open-boat whalers: rapid social learning on a large scale? (
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2021.0030)

Please visit our Crowdcast channel to register and for more information on
upcoming sessions as they are scheduled.
https://www.crowdcast.io/cetaceansessions

Sincerely, Jared Towers
Science Lead, Bay Cetology
https://baycetology.org