[MARMAM] New paper on passive acoustics to study vocalization patterns of bottlenose dolphins

Alyssa Marian marianad at g.cofc.edu
Fri Mar 26 07:40:36 PDT 2021

Dear members of the MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent publication:

Marian, A. D., Monczak, A., Balmer, B. C., Hart, L. B., Soueidan, J., &
Montie, E. W. (2021). Long-term passive acoustics to assess spatial and
temporal vocalization patterns of Atlantic common bottlenose dolphins
(*Tursiops
truncatus*) in the May River estuary, South Carolina. *Marine Mammal
Science. *

This paper is available at https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12800.

*Abstract*: Passive acoustics has been used extensively to study bottlenose
dolphins; yet very few studies have examined the spatial, temporal, and
environmental influences on vocalization types (echolocation, burst pulse
sounds, and whistles), and few are long‐term and provide high temporal
resolution over multiple years. We used data from 2013 to 2018 to establish
baseline acoustic patterns for bottlenose dolphins in the May River
estuary, South Carolina. We deployed acoustic recorders at six stations
during 2013–2014 and three stations during 2015–2018, with locations
spanning the entire estuary (headwaters to the mouth). We discovered that
acoustic detection of dolphins varied not only spatially, but also yearly,
monthly, and tidally. Higher numbers of echolocation bouts, burst pulse
sounds, and whistles were detected at the mouth as compared to the
headwaters. At the mouth, vocalization detections were greatest in fall and
winter for multiple years, and echolocation detection was greatest during
falling and low tides. This study provides an example of another tool,
long‐term passive acoustics monitoring, to better understand spatial and
temporal distribution of dolphins in a typical salt marsh estuary, that can
be applied to other ecosystems throughout the southeastern United States
and globally.

If you have any questions feel free to email: am149 at uscb.edu

Best regards,

Alyssa D. Marian, M.S.
Research Technician/Lab Manager
Marine Sensory & Neurobiology Lab &
The Lowcountry Dolphin Conservation Program
University of South Carolina Beaufort