[MARMAM] New publication: Chronic exposure to glyphosate in Florida manatee

Maite De María maitedmm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 13:41:36 PDT 2021

Dear All,

We are pleased to share our new publication in the journal
Environmental International titled
"Chronic exposure to glyphosate in Florida manatee" by Maite De María
Cecilia Silva-Sanchez, Kevin J.Kroll, Michael T.Walshb, Mohammad-Zaman
Nouria, Margaret E.Hunter, MonicaRoss, Tonya M.Clauss and Nancy D.Denslow.
This was a collaborative effort between the University of Florida, USGS,
Georgia Aquarium and Clearwater Marine aquarium.

Abstract:
Florida manatees depend on freshwater environments as a source of drinking
water and as warm-water refuges. These freshwater environments are in
direct contact with human activities where glyphosate-based herbicides are
being used. Glyphosate is the most used herbicide worldwide and it is
intensively used in Florida as a sugarcane ripener and to control invasive
aquatic plants. The objective of the present study was to determine the
concentration of glyphosate and its breakdown product,
aminomethylphosphonic acid (AMPA), in Florida manatee plasma and assess
their exposure to manatees seeking a warm-water refuge in Crystal River
(west central Florida), and in South Florida. We analyzed glyphosate’s and
AMPA’s concentrations in Florida manatee plasma (n = 105) collected during
2009–2019 using HPLC-MS/MS. We sampled eight Florida water bodies between
2019 and 2020, three times a year: before, during and after the sugarcane
harvest using grab samples and molecular imprinted passive Polar Organic
Chemical Integrative Samplers (MIP-POCIS). Glyphosate was present in 55.8%
of the sampled Florida manatees’ plasma. The concentration of glyphosate
has significantly increased in Florida manatee samples from 2009 until
2019. Glyphosate and AMPA were ubiquitous in water bodies. The
concentration of glyphosate and AMPA was higher in South Florida than in
Crystal River, particularly before and during the sugarcane harvest when
Florida manatees depend on warm water refuges. Based on our results,
Florida manatees were chronically exposed to glyphosate and AMPA, during
and beyond the glyphosate applications to sugarcane, possibly associated
with multiple uses of glyphosate-based herbicides for other crops or to
control aquatic weeds. This chronic exposure in Florida water bodies may
have consequences for Florida manatees’ immune and renal systems which may
further be compounded by other environmental exposures such as red tide or
cold stress.

The paper open access and can be found here:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412021001185

All the best,

Maite and collaborators.

--
https://maitedemaria.wordpress.com/

MSc. Maite De María Mulet
Ph.D candidate in Physiological Sciences-Toxicology
Center for Environmental and Human Toxicology
University of Florida
Gainesville, EE.UU
<https://maitedemaria.wordpress.com/>