[MARMAM] New publication on the first stranding record of Longman's beaked whale in Okinawa, Japan

Nozomi Kobayashi nkobayashi13 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 19:26:34 PDT 2021

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-outhors and I are pleased to announce you on our new publication
titled, The first stranding record of Longman's beaked whale (*Indopacetus
pacificus*) in Okinawa, Japan, which is published in the journal of Aquatic
Mammals.

by Nozomi Kobayashi, Koji Tokutake, Hideyoshi Yoshida, Haruna Okabe, Kei
Miyamoto, Haruka Ito, Naoto Higashi, Shingo Fukada, Kei Yamazaki, Suguru
Higa, Isao Kawazu, Keiichi Ueda.

Abstract

Longman’s beaked whale (Indopacetus pacificus) is one of the least known
cetaceans in the world.
Since it was first described as its own species in 1968, they have been
observed alive at sea only on a few occasions and stranding has been
reported for less than twenty cases worldwide to date.
Thus, the ecological information regarding this species is still very
limited compared to other cetaceans.
In this study, the external appearance, osteological characters, DNA
analysis, and parasitic organisms of a Longman’s beaked whale that was
stranded on Ukibaru Island in Okinawa, Japan, are reported.
The external appearance and the osteological features of the specimen
matched the features of the Longman’s beaked whale presented in previous
studies.
MtDNA control-region sequences obtained from the specimen also matched the
reference sequences of the species deposited in GenBank.
Based on these features, we concluded that the specimen was Longman’s
beaked whale.
The specimen was estimated as juvenile male because of its body length
(4.78 m), no eruption of teeth on its lower jaw, and no fusion of the
vertebral epiphyses of its vertebral bodies.
Whale lice collected from the body surface of the specimen were identified
as Isocyamus indopacetus, which are known to parasitize Longman’s beaked
whale.
This was the first record of a stranded Longman’s beaked whale in Okinawa,
and it was also the first record of a juvenile male for this species
confirmed in Japan.
The whole skeleton was cataloged in the collection of the Okinawa
Churashima Research Center, Okinawa Churashima Foundation.

The article can be found at the following link
https://doi.org/10.1578/AM.47.2.2021.153

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Warmest regards,

Nozomi Kobayashi

Nozomi Kobayashi, Ph. D.

Zoological Laboratory