[MARMAM] Graduate Student Symposium 2021 Abstract Submission Deadline March 19th

Lauren Clance lclance at disl.org
Mon Mar 15 20:18:03 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

The Dauphin Island Sea Lab (DISL) Marine Science Graduate Student
Organization will be hosting a Graduate Student Symposium (GSS 2021) during
the weekend of April 16th-18th. Due to COVID-19, we have opted to hold the
event virtually this year; however, this allows us to expand our range of
opportunities to all grad students and undergraduates and to a
wider variety of research topics, including sessions for marine mammal
research, such as megafauna conservation, stable isotope, trace element and
genetics work. We will also be hosting a keynote speaker, mental health
panel and a variety of fun and educational workshops: Fishing Rigs and Fly
Tying, Communication and Leadership Styles, Diversity of Careers, Social
Media for Scientists and Science-ing Abroad.

We will be holding the event as a live virtual conference, meaning that
students will present in real-time in front of virtual audiences and
receive live questions and feedback. To achieve this goal, we encourage
all students, faculty and staff at research institutions and members of the
press and general public to join us and participate throughout the weekend.
To be a presenter, you must be either a graduate student or undergraduate,
but you do not have to be a student to attend. The cost to register as a
student or faculty member is $45, which will include a welcome packet and
t-shirt (and abstract fee if you are a student). If you are a member of the
general public or a technician/researcher that is not faculty, registration
is $7.50.

For presenters, abstracts are due March 19th.

Included in this email is a graphic that contains session topics. Please
feel free to distribute these materials to anyone that may be interested.

Registration forms can be accessed at our conference website:
https://whova.com/web/msgss_202104/

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out at
msgso.gss2021 at gmail.com .

We look forward to hosting y'all in April!

Sincerely,
The DISL Marine Science Graduate Student Organization