[MARMAM] New paper: Natal origin of N. Pacific gray whale seen in the South East Atlantic

Simon Elwen simon.elwen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 05:45:30 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

The Namibian Dolphin Project had the privilege of seeing a Pacific gray
whale off the coast of Namibia (SE Atlantic) in 2013,  at which point we
managed to collect a biopsy from it. It took a  while to get it processed
it but happily Rus Hoelzel and Fatih Sarigol  at Durham University in the
UK managed to do this using genomic methods - revealing that the animal's
most likely source population was the endangered Western Gray Whale
population, known to feed off Sakhalin Island, Russia...making this the
longest known movement of any mammal.

The paper is available on our all author's researchgate profiles:

 Hoezel AR, F Sarigol, T Gridley, SH Elwen. (*2021*).  Natal origin of
Namibian gray whale reveals new distance record for in-water migration. Biol.
Lett. 17: 20210136.  https://doi.org/10.1098/rsbl.2021.0136

and if reading genetic methods isn't your thing - we made a YouTube Video
abstract of the paper as well available here:  https://youtu.be/aKXZbqaXPiU

Many thanks :)

Simon Elwen

Simon Elwen Ph.D. - Director Sea Search Research & Conservation
<http://www.seasearch.co.za> and the Namibian Dolphin Project
<http://www.namibiandolphinproject.org>
Research Associate: Department of Zoology and Botany - Stellenbosch
University

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>