[MARMAM] New Publication : Cetacean strandings in Nicaragua

Association ELI-S eliscientific at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 08:57:55 PDT 2021

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent Open Access publication
in Marine Biodiversity Records:

De Weerdt J., Ramos E.A., Pouplard E., Kochzius M., Clapham P.
(2021). Cetacean strandings along the Pacific and Caribbean coasts of
Nicaragua from 2014 to 2021. Marine Biodiversity Records 14:13.
doi.org/10.1186/s41200-021-00209-5

Abstract.
Documenting marine mammal strandings provides important information needed
to understand the occurrence and distribution patterns of species. Here, we
report on strandings of cetaceans on the Pacific (n = 11) and Caribbean (n
= 2) coasts of Nicaragua, documented opportunistically from 2014 to 2021.
Strandings included three species of baleen whale (blue whale Balaenoptera
musculus, Bryde’s whale Balaenoptera edeni, humpback whale Megaptera
novaeangliae) and five species of toothed whale (dwarf sperm whale Kogia
sima, Guiana dolphin Sotalia guianensis, pantropical spotted dolphin
Stenella attenuata, spinner dolphin Stenella longirostris, Cuvier’s beaked
whale Ziphius cavirostris). These are the first published accounts of blue
whales, Bryde’s whales, dwarf sperm whales, and Cuvier’s beaked whales in
Nicaraguan waters. Limited resources and the advanced decomposition of
animals prevented necropsies in most cases, the identification of the
causes of mortality in all cases, and the species identification of two
dolphins. Information derived from these stranding events offers new
insights into the occurrence of marine mammals on the Pacific and Caribbean
coasts of Nicaragua and Central America. Keywords: Central America,
Cetaceans, Citizen science, Diversity, Eastern Tropical Pacific

The full article can be accessed here:
https://mbr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41200-021-00209-5

If you wish to support our project you can order an original whale bracelet
that is handmade and custom made by Association ELI-S.
https://eli-s.com/shop/

Best regards,

*Joëlle De Weerdt*
PhD Candidate VUB

Project director of Cetacean conservation of Nicaragua - Association ELI-S
www.eli-s.com
Find us on : Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/AssociationELIS>, Instagram
<http://www.instagram.com/association.elis>, Twitter
<http://twitter.com/ELI_Scientific>, Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeseHPDvE6pq-MmoZXWNkg>
Use lilo as research engine and support our project here
<https://www.lilo.org/fr/eli-scientific/>