[MARMAM] New paper

Susanna Blackwell apoflav2work at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 10:13:45 PDT 2021

Hello all,
My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our paper on
cue rates (calling rates) in migrating bowhead whales:

Blackwell SB, AM Thode, AS Conrad, MC Ferguson, CL Berchok, KM Stafford, TA
Marques, and KH Kim.  2021.  Estimating acoustic cue rates in bowhead
whales, *Balaena mysticetus*, during their fall migration through the
Alaskan Beaufort Sea.  Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,
149(5):3611-3625.

Abstract:  Eight years of passive acoustic data (2007–2014) from the
Beaufort Sea were used to estimate the mean cue rate (calling rate) of
individual bowhead whales (*Balaena mysticetus*) during their fall
migration along the North Slope of Alaska.  Calls detected on directional
acoustic recorders (DASARs) were triangulated to provide estimates of
locations at times of call production, which were then translated into call
densities (calls/hour/km2).  Various assumptions were used to convert call
density into animal cue rates, including the time for whales to cross the
arrays of acoustic recorders, the population size, the fraction of the
migration corridor missed by the localizing array system, and the fraction
of the seasonal migration missed because recorders were retrieved before
the end of the migration.  Taking these uncertainties into account in
various combinations yielded up to 351 cue rate estimates, which summarize
to a median of 1.3 calls/whale/h and an interquartile range of 0.5–5.4
calls/whale/h.

The paper can be obtained at the following link:
https://asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/10.0005043

Or by email request:
susanna at greeneridge.com or apoflav2work at gmail.com

Best,
Susanna

Susanna B. Blackwell, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist, Greeneridge Sciences, Inc.
Research Associate, UC Santa Cruz