[MARMAM] New publication: WhaleMap: a tool to collate and display whale survey results in near real-time

Hansen Johnson Hansen.Johnson at Dal.Ca
Thu Jun 10 04:04:27 PDT 2021

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I have developed an open source software tool called WhaleMap (available at whalemap.org<http://whalemap.org>) to collate and display whale survey results in near real-time. It is described in our recent publication in the Journal of Open Source Software:

Johnson H, Morrison D, Taggart C (2021). WhaleMap: a tool to collate and display whale survey results in near real-time. Journal of Open Source Software, 6(62), 3094, https://doi.org/10.21105/joss.03094

WhaleMap has proven a valuable tool for improving conservation outcomes for baleen whales, including the North Atlantic right whale, along the east coast of the US and Canada. It has achieved this by optimizing research activities, facilitating dynamic risk-mitigation measures, and engaging with the ocean industry and the public. It is our hope that this system can be readily adapted to benefit other regions and species facing similar conservation challenges. Please do not hesitate to contact me (hansen.johnson at dal.ca<mailto:hansen.johnson at dal.ca>) if you have any questions.

All the best,
Hansen

--
Hansen Johnson (he/him/his)
PhD Candidate, Oceanography Department, Dalhousie University