[MARMAM] New publication: new types of low frequency pulsed sounds of botos (Inia geoffrensis)

Jessica Fernandes de Melo jessica.melo at mamiraua.org.br
Tue Jun 1 06:54:24 PDT 2021

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are glad to share our new publication in Mammalian Biology: "Delving deep into unheard waters: new types of low frequency pulsed sounds described for the boto (Inia geoffrensis)"
de Melo, J.F., Amorim, T.O.S. & Andriolo, A. Delving deep into unheard waters: new types of low frequency pulsed sounds described for the boto (Inia geoffrensis). Mamm Biol (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s42991-021-00134-1

Abstract
The Amazon river dolphin, or boto (Inia geoffrensis), is an endangered species, distributed over an extensive area of the Amazon–Orinoco basin. Here, we analyzed the acoustic behavior of a previously unstudied population of botos at the Juami-Japurá Ecological Station, Amazonas. We categorized call types according to their visual and acoustical parameters. Random forest decision trees were used to assess the validity of our classification. Six types of narrowband pulsed sounds were found, of which four are being described for the first time for the species. The vocalizations analyzed had mean maximum frequency of 25.7 kHz and mean minimum frequency of 1.1 kHz. The narrowband pulsed sounds are complex and different from those emitted by most members of the family Delphinidae. Although the acoustic repertoire of botos is not completely understood in functional terms, these pulsed sounds may play an important role in the social structure of the animals.

The full-text article is available online at the following link:
https://rdcu.be/clHjt<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Frdcu.be%2FclHjt&data=04%7C01%7C%7C2fcd2edddd594c685f6608d924a4d5bd%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637581112640793538%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=eotgEVG2IzhmuPmHU6jQ%2BLh5zk9cnTVwy62DwudU3GI%3D&reserved=0>

Best regards,

​Jéssica Fernandes de Melo, MsC
Pesquisadora – CNPq (PCI-D)

GP Mamíferos Aquáticos Amazônicos

Instituto de Desenvolvimento Sustentável Mamirauá