[MARMAM] New paper - Numerical Modeling of the Exposure on Radiofrequency Radiation of Marine Mammal Observers During Their Shift: A Case Study

info desk info at eos-oilandgas.com
Tue Jan 12 05:49:57 PST 2021

Dear MARMAM Members,

My colleagues and I are pleased to share our new publication titled: Numerical Modeling of the Exposure on Radiofrequency Radiation of Marine Mammal Observers During Their Shift: A Case Study

Abstract: Following the standard numerical modeling approach for Electromagnetic Field (EMF) radiation exposure prediction, we intend to provide an analytical framework to Marine Mammal Observers (MMOs) for dynamic risk assessment; enhancing thus occupational health and safety awareness. The analysis is based on power levels and antenna characteristics reported by MMOs for two systems (VHF and UHF) located close to the working environment. Whilst occupational exposure limits apply for MMOs, as for the rest crew (seismic and maritime), evaluation of exposure levels against general public limits is presented as well. At present we have restricted our study to single-source radiation, as well as we did not consider any irregularities due to system malfunction. The worst-case scenario of continuous RF transmission was considered. Risk assessment indicated regions where radiation exposure is higher than the permissible limits. Uncertainty due to the operational environment is inserted in methodology using an uncertainty coefficient. A list of control measures is proposed, to support both MMO’s and Operators’ decision making.

https://doi.org/10.18280/ijsse.100605

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information,

Best wishes,

Arvaniti Kyriakoula,

EOS Energy Solutions and Support Ltd