[MARMAM] Internship Posting

Pavlinovic, Alexander pavale03 at evergreen.edu
Tue Jan 12 11:13:20 PST 2021

I am looking for three research assistants for a project this spring (expected dates: February 27th-May 31st, 2021) to study the impacts of boats on gray whales in Washington. There will also be at least two days of equipment training before the dates listed above/fieldwork. This position is through The Evergreen State College.

During and before this time, there will be specific protocols for limiting the risks of COVID. These protocols will require spending the whole period, listed above, living, and working together without the opportunity to leave the field site, short of emergencies. These plans can change due to the COVID situation.

While the current budget does not allow for a salary, living fees will be covered at the research site (food, housing, travel expenses around the research site) for approximately three months.

This opportunity is a great experience for anyone interested in studying marine mammals. You will be gaining field experience with a theodolite, taking identification pictures, identifying different species of marine mammals, and learning other necessary field skills.

To be considered as a serious candidate, you will be required to be proficient in Excel and be able to type. Preference will be given to individuals with any of the following skills or experiences: GIS, fieldwork, R, and theodolite. The work will be conducted outside rain or shine, and the team will live and work in close quarters. These efforts will require people to stand for up to 12 hours a day. The ability to get along with others is critical.

If you are interested, please send me a resume/CV, cover letter, and contact information for two references to the email listed below. Please put in the subject of the email Gray Whale Position Application.

Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. The deadline for submitting is January 24th.

Also, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Alexander (Alex) Pavlinovic

Master of Environmental Studies Student

The Evergreen State College