[MARMAM] New publication: The potential of satellite imagery for surveying whales

Caro caroe.h at gmx.de
Wed Feb 24 06:42:45 PST 2021

Dear All,

my co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our brief
communication in the journal Sensors:

The potential of satellite imagery for surveying whales

by Höschle, C.; Cubaynes, H.C.; Clarke, P.J.; Humphries, G.; Borowicz,
A. The Potential of Satellite Imagery for Surveying Whales. /Sensors/
2021, /21/, 963.

https://doi.org/10.3390/s21030963 <https://doi.org/10.3390/s21030963>

Abstract:

The emergence of very high-resolution (VHR) satellite imagery (less than
1 m spatial resolution) is creating new opportunities within the fields
of ecology and conservation biology. The advancement of sub-meter
resolution imagery has provided greater confidence in the detection and
identification of features on the ground, broadening the realm of
possible research questions. To date, VHR imagery studies have largely
focused on terrestrial environments; however, there has been incremental
progress in the last two decades for using this technology to detect
cetaceans. With advances in computational power and sensor resolution,
the feasibility of broad-scale VHR ocean surveys using VHR satellite
imagery with automated detection and classification processes has
increased. Initial attempts at automated surveys are showing promising
results, but further development is necessary to ensure reliability.
Here we discuss the future directions in which VHR satellite imagery
might be used to address urgent questions in whale conservation. We
highlight the current challenges to automated detection and to extending
the use of this technology to all oceans and various whale species. To
achieve basin-scale marine surveys, currently not feasible with any
traditional surveying methods (including boat-based and aerial surveys),
future research requires a collaborative effort between biology,
computation science, and engineering to overcome the present challenges
to this platform’s use.

A pdf copy can be downloaded from:
https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/21/3/963/pdf
<https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/21/3/963/pdf>