[MARMAM] Introductory distance sampling training workshop 12-23 April 2021--a few places remaining

Eric Rexstad er26 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Feb 23 04:46:28 PST 2021

*Interactive introductory distance sampling training (Second call)*

The University of St Andrews has been training ecologists and
statisticians in design and analysis of distance sampling studies for
decades.  Distance sampling methodology is widely used for population
assessment of a variety of cetacean and pinniped species. 🐬
Registration is open for our next offering of the introductory distance
sampling training; butthere are only a handful of places remaining for
the April workshop.

We are offering the training workshop in 10 2.5-hour blocks in
mid-April.  You will be invited to interact in short lectures on
distance sampling principles. 👩‍🎓 Exercises analysing data sets in R
will reinforce those principles and the lecturer will be available to
assist during the practical session via screen sharing.  The block will
conclude with a summary of the exercise and question/answer session for
both lecture and exercise. 💻  You can participate in polls during the
workshop to assess your comprehension of topics discussed. 🤔 In
addition to questions at any time during the lectures and practicals, an
optional additional half hour will be set aside each session for
discussion. 🗣

The workshop will be delivered using Zoom web conferencing software
along with R-Studio "in the cloud".☁️ You will need (free) accounts for
both pieces of software. I encourage you to experiment with Zoom (at
https://zoom.us) and https://rstudio.cloud before the course begins.
👩‍💻  There will be an internet connection testing session prior to the
first meeting on 12 April.
*
**Companion online training workshops*

We are planning an additional advanced distance sampling workshops in
August 2021 (imperfect detection on the transect workshop and spatial
modelling workshop).  These workshops will require knowledge of basic
distance sampling principles derived from this introductory training
workshop.

*Important details*

     Workshop dates and time:  12-23 April 2021; 1500-1730 Greenwich
Mean Time. For the time of day in your zone, consult
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Introductory+Distance+Sampling+workshop&iso=20210412T15&p1=3853&ah=2&am=30
🕰️
     Registration deadline: 23 March 2021📅
     Enrolment limit: 15
     Cost: 215 British pounds 💵
     What is included: Lectures, exercises, code, data all available
online📃

*What they are saying*

I would like to say I really liked RStudio Cloud and it is working just
fine and I am really enjoying using it as a student. I'm looking forward
to using it as an instructor too. I really liked the first half of the
course. I love distance sampling and I am enjoying every second of the
course! The only thing I can say about this particular workshop is it
deserves more time. -- Kaan Özgencil, PhD student, Department of
Biological Sciences, Middle East Technical University, Ankara

*Further details are available:*

http://workshops.distancesampling.org/intro-apr-2021.html

At this page you will find a link to the St Andrews online shop where
payment is made.  After registration, I will contact you with additional
details regarding workshop electronic materials, etc.

Feel free to contact me with questions. Please share this notice with
interested colleagues.

Information regarding all distance sampling workshops can be found at

https://workshops.distancesampling.org

--
Eric Rexstad
Centre for Ecological and Environmental Modelling