[MARMAM] New paper on sex-related population dynamics of common bottlenose dolphins

Eduardo Morteo eduardo.morteo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 05:57:46 PST 2021

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

On behalf of the co-authors, I am pleased to share our new publication. This is the second paper of the Doctoral thesis by Jaime Bolaños, exploring the sexual differences in residency patterns of common bottlenose dolphins and their effect in the parameters of a coastal population in the Southwestern Gulf of Mexico.

Bolaños-Jiménez J., Morteo E., Fruet P., Secchi E., Delfín-Alfonso C., Bello-Pineda J. Seasonal population parameters reveal sex-related dynamics of bottlenose dolphins off open waters of the Southwestern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Mammal Science ISSN: 1748-7692, doi: 10.1111/MMS.12897

Abstract:

In coastal populations of the common bottlenose dolphin, resident females are usually more abundant and have more restricted home ranges than males. Here, we studied sex-specific population dynamics of bottlenose dolphins off the Alvarado Lagoon System, southwestern Gulf of Mexico. We used standard photo-identification and capture-mark-recapture methods to determine population parameters under the superpopulation approach. Seasonal survival fluctuated around 0.96 (range: 0.80–1.00) and was equal for the sexes; recruitment of putative females (PF) and males (PM) was low, asynchronous, and reached 0.14 (range: 0.04–0.10) and 0.09 (range: 0.09–0.09), respectively, indicating high residency. PF abundance ranged from 60, 95% CI [48, 74] in the northern winds' season of 2008 to a low of 38, 95% CI [31, 47] in the dry season of 2010. PM abundance ranged from a high of 14, 95% CI [12, 16] in the northern winds' season of 2008 to a low of 9, 95% CI [7, 11] in the dry season of 2010. A regression analysis showed significant autocorrelation, and a pattern in the residuals of abundance, indicating no trends as well as temporal fluctuations that suggest a possible carrying capacity effect. Accordingly, high site fidelity, restricted ranging patterns, and low sporadic recruitment from the superpopulation are likely driving population parameters for this population.

Full text and PDF versions are available at:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12897 <https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12897>

Feel free to contact me at eduardo.morteo at gmail.com <mailto:eduardo.morteo at gmail.com> if you have questions or comments.

Cheers!

Dr. Eduardo Morteo

Director

Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas
Universidad Veracruzana

Calle Dr. Castelazo Ayala S/N, Col. Industrial Ánimas
CP 91190, Xalapa, Veracruz, México.

Ph/Tel: +52 (228) 841 89 00
E-mail: emorteo at uv.mx

http://www.uv.mx/personal/emorteo/