[MARMAM] New publication on photo-identified humpback whales crossing putative feeding areas

Renata S. Sousa-Lima sousalima.renata at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 02:18:09 PST 2021

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce and share our new paper:

“The Southern Ocean Exchange: porous boundaries between humpback whale
breeding populations in southern polar waters”, which has been
published in *Scientific
Reports.*

Abstract:

Humpback whales (*Megaptera novaeangliae*) are a cosmopolitan species and
perform long annual migrations between low-latitude breeding areas and
high-latitude feeding areas. Their breeding populations appear to be
spatially and genetically segregated due to long-term, maternally inherited
fidelity to natal breeding areas. In the Southern Hemisphere, some humpback
whale breeding populations mix in Southern Ocean waters in summer, but very
little movement between Pacific and Atlantic waters has been identified to
date, suggesting these waters constituted an oceanic boundary between
genetically distinct populations. Here, we present new evidence of summer
co-occurrence in the West Antarctic Peninsula feeding area of two
recovering humpback whale breeding populations from the Atlantic (Brazil)
and Pacific (Central and South America). As humpback whale populations
recover, observations like this point to the need to revise our perceptions
of boundaries between stocks, particularly on high latitude feeding
grounds. We suggest that this “Southern Ocean Exchange” may become more
frequent as populations recover from commercial whaling and climate change
modifies environmental dynamics and humpback whale prey availability.

Please find it freely available online at www.nature.com/articles/
s41598-021-02612-5

On behalf of my co-authors, I thank you for the interest in our research.

Renata

Renata S. Sousa-Lima, MSc, PhD

Professora Associada em Comportamento Animal / *Associate **Professor
of **Animal
Behavior*
*Bolsista de Produtividade CNPq 2*
*ORCID *https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2638-1695
Lattes http://lattes.cnpq.br/1514389007687960
LaB - Laboratório de Bioacústica / *LaB - Laboratory of Bioacoustics*
*www.LaB.bio.br <http://www.LaB.bio.br>*
Departamento de Fisiologia e Comportamento / *Department of Physiology &
Behavior*
Centro de Biociências / *Biosciences Center*
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte / *Federal University of Rio
Grande do Norte*
Natal, RN - Brasil 59078-970
Tel.: + 55 (84) 3215 3409 - 3215 3410 - 3215 3411
Fax: + 55 (84) 3211 9206
sousalima.renata at gmail.com

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." Philo of
Alexandria