[MARMAM] New publication on Bryde's whale record for Portugal (mainland)

Joana Castro jmadeiracastro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 12:37:50 PST 2021

 Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce and share our recent paper
titled " A new Bryde’s whale (Balaenoptera edeni) record for mainland
Portugal" published in the Journal of Cetacean Research and Management.
volume 22.

The full paper is available via open access and free to download:
https://archive.iwc.int/pages/view.php?ref=18973&k=

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Abstract:

The Brydes’s whale (*Balaenoptera edeni*) is a species of baleen whale
known to live year‐round in warm waters. Here, we report the sighting of an
adult individual during the summer of 2020 off the south coast of Portugal.
The whale was observed 6.4 n.miles from the shore in water at a depth of 50.6m.
Initially this individual was associated with a group of bottlenose
dolphins.
This is the first record of this species for mainland Portugal. The
distribution of the species in the North Atlantic Ocean is still poorly
known.

Best regards,
Joana Castro