[MARMAM] Postdoctoral Position - Baleen whale behavioral ecology and acoustics

Susan E Parks sparks at syr.edu
Fri Dec 3 14:58:21 PST 2021

The Bioacoustics and Behavioral Ecology Lab at Syracuse University is seeking a postdoctoral researcher to join our group in 2022.  We are seeking a colleague interested in acoustic communication, behavioral ecology, and the potential effects of underwater noise on marine mammals with a focus on baleen whales. The successful candidate will be expected to lead and implement research projects that increase accuracy for acoustic monitoring and density estimation of marine mammals, both by increasing our knowledge of basic acoustic behavior and by developing new approaches for estimating population densities by exploiting individual-level differences in acoustic signals.

The position will be based in the Bioacoustics and Behavioral Ecology Lab at Syracuse University (https://babel.syr.edu/) under the supervision of Professor Susan E. Parks and Dr. Frants H. Jensen, with fieldwork opportunities in a range of locations in the Atlantic Ocean. The initial appointment will be for a period of two years with the possibility of extension pending satisfactory performance and contingent on external funding.

More details about the position can be found at https://www.sujobopps.com/postings/90014/. Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and names of three references. Application review will start on December 15, 2021 but new applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email Susan Parks (sparks at syr.edu) with any questions you may have about the position.