[MARMAM] marine mammal cue rate production - information request 4 project ACCURATE

Tiago Marques tiago.marques at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Apr 24 11:23:43 PDT 2021

Dear Researcher,

We are contacting you in the hope that you might have acoustic tag data that might be used for estimating acoustic cue rates, i.e. the number of sounds of interest produced per unit time, of marine mammals. If you do have such data and have not yet been approached by us, please give us a few extra minutes of your time and fill in this google form about it:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelX2lQea1z56N5Tz41bUMw6jjQaPDCl5-5scRT8IWTLVQanA/viewform?usp=sf_link

No more than 3 minutes are anticipated to be needed to do so.

If you want to know why we are asking for that information, please waste 2 more minutes reading this message to the end. Maybe we will end up working together!

We are writing to you within the realms of the ACCURATE project - ACoustic CUe RATEs for passive acoustics density estimation. ACCURATE is a 5 year project supported by the US Navy's Living Marine Resources program (https://www.navfac.navy.mil/navfac_worldwide/specialty_centers/exwc/products_and_services/ev/lmr.html), with the purpose of learning about acoustic cue production rates to inform passive acoustic density estimation. The project does not include dedicated data collection and therefore relies on multiple data providers. Several data providers have been identified and are already feeding us data. More about the project can be found on this landing page:

https://www.researchgate.net/project/ACCURATE-ACoustic-CUe-RATEs-for-passive-acoustics-density-estimation

We already have a number of people providing us with data to look at different aspects of marine mammal sound production. Nonetheless, within the project we are interested in knowing about any and all tag data that might have been collected on any marine mammal species that could convey information about acoustic production of sounds that might be used for passive acoustic density estimation. We are reviewing the state of the art on marine mammal  acoustic cue production and hence would like to compile a database of tags and associated metadata, like date, location, species, etc. We are doing so with the double objective of (1) having a searchable record of the tags available and (2) identifying possible tagging efforts that we could use within ACCURATE.

Sorry for the general email even if someone on the (quite large ACCURATE) team might know you personally. This was just an efficient way to get to many people with a consistent message.

Looking forward to hear from you on behalf of the ACCURATE team,

Tiago A. Marques

PS - I am the principal investigator on ACCURATE and the contact to use for any enquiries regarding the project is tiago.marques at st-andrews.ac.uk

Tiago André Marques
email (St Andrews): tiago.marques at st.andrews.ac.uk
email (FCUL): tamarques at ciencias.ulisboa.pt
email (personal): tiagoandremarques at gmail.com
Mobile (personal): 00351919651628
Twitter: @TiagoALOMarques
Skype: talomar
Google Scholar SHqH7fMAAAAJ
ORCID 0000-0002-2581-1972
ResearcherID A-5530-2010
Scopus ID 6603703024
University of St Andrews
Senior Research Fellow
School of Mathematics and Statistics
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling
The Observatory, Buchanan Gardens, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9LZ, Scotland
Phone: 00441334461842
Fax: 00441334461800
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/profile/tam2
Universidade de Lisboa
Professor Auxiliar Convidado
Departamento de Biologia Animal
Centro de Estatística e Aplicações
Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa
Bloco C6, Piso 4, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, PORTUGAL
FCUL: 00351217500170 (my usual office)
https://ciencias.ulisboa.pt/pt/perfil/tamarques