[MARMAM] new publication

Sara Labrousse sara.labrousse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 07:23:22 PDT 2021

New publication: Weddell seal behaviour during an exceptional oceanographic
event in the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf in 2017

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of all the co-authors, we are happy to inform you on the
publication of our new article: Weddell seal behaviour during an
exceptional oceanographic event in the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf in 2017

Abstract
Rapid and regionally contrasting climate changes have been observed around
Antarctica. However, our understanding of the impact of these changes on
ecosystems remains limited, and there is an urgent need to better identify
habitats of Antarctic species. The Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddellii)
is a circumpolar mesopredator and an indicative species of Antarctic marine
communities. It has been extensively studied in the western Ross Sea and
East Antarctica, and an understanding of its ecology in the Weddell Sea in
the wintertime is emerging. We documented the behavioural response(s) of
four Weddell seals from February to June in 2017 in the Filchner-Ronne Ice
Shelf region and related these to unusual oceanographic conditions in 2017.
Unexpectedly, we found that Weddell seals had the longest foraging effort
within the outflow of Ice Shelf Water or at its turbulent boundary. They
also foraged on the eastern side of the trough from April to June within
the Modified Warm Deep Water and seem to take advantage of the unusual
conditions of persistent inflow of warm waters through the winter. Linking
animal behavioural responses to oceanographic conditions is informative for
quantifying rarely recorded events and provides great insight into how
predators may respond to changing conditions.

The article can be obtained from
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antarctic-science/article/weddell-seal-behaviour-during-an-exceptional-oceanographic-event-in-the-filchnerronne-ice-shelf-in-2017/7ADDF50F806311765B06FDCE4A9A7D4E
Or upon request to sara.labrousse at locean.ipsl.fr

Kind regards
--
Sara Labrousse, Dr.