[MARMAM] Cetacean Session #3: Artisanal Cetacean Harvesting

Jared Towers jrtowers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:23:46 PDT 2021

On Cetacean Sessions #3 on Thursday, April 29th at 4:00 pm Pacific Time
guest Russell Fielding will provide an overview of some of the current
artisanal cetacean harvesting efforts throughout the North and South
Atlantic Oceans. We will discuss his book, 'The Wake of the Whale: Hunter
Societies in the Caribbean and North Atlantic' as well as look at three
papers he has led authorship on this year: 'Demographic and geographic
patterns of cetacean-based food product consumption and potential mercury
exposure within a Caribbean whaling community' published in Human and
Ecological Risk Assessment, 'Artisanal and aboriginal subsistence whaling
in Saint Vincent and Grenadines (Eastern Caribbean): History, catch
characteristic, and needs for research and management' published in
Frontiers in Marine Science, and 'History of whaling in Annobón, Equatorial
Guinea, and new evidence of its continued occurrence' published in the
Journal of Cetacean Research and Management.

These discussions will be followed by live Q&A with the audience. For
viewing/participating we recommend earbuds/headphones and the use of Chrome
or Firefox. Please register for the session at
https://www.crowdcast.io/e/cetacean-session-3/register

Cetacean Sessions is a free bi-weekly webinar series where we discuss
impactful recently published scientific research on cetaceans with those
conducting it around the world. Cetacean Sessions is informal, educational,
interactive and geared towards those working with or interested in
cetaceans.

Hope to see you there!

Thx. Jared Towers