[MARMAM] New Publication | Bowheads overwintering at their summer feeding ground in the eastern Beaufort Sea

Niki Diogou niki.diogou at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 11:40:43 PDT 2021

Dear MARMAM community,

With my co-authors, we are very glad to share with you our newest
publication <https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.202268>in
the Royal Society, entitled: *Bowhead whales overwinter in the Amundsen
Gulf and Eastern Beaufort Sea*.

   - Insley S. J. <https://royalsocietypublishing.org/author/Insley%2C+S+J>
   ,
   - Halliday W. D.
   <https://royalsocietypublishing.org/author/Halliday%2C+W+D>,
   - Mouy X. <https://royalsocietypublishing.org/author/Mouy%2C+X> and
   - Diogou N. <https://royalsocietypublishing.org/author/Diogou%2C+N>

2021Bowhead whales overwinter in the Amundsen Gulf and Eastern Beaufort SeaR.
Soc. open sci.8202268202268.
http://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.202268 <https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.202268>

 *Abstract*

The bowhead whale is the only baleen whale endemic to the Arctic and is
well adapted to this environment. Bowheads live near the polar ice edge for
much of the year and although sea ice dynamics are not the only driver of
their annual migratory movements, it likely plays a key role. Given the
intrinsic variability of open water and ice, one might expect bowhead
migratory plasticity to be high and linked to this proximate environmental
factor. Here, through a network of underwater passive acoustic recorders,
we document the first known occurrence of bowheads overwintering in what is
normally their summer foraging grounds in the Amundsen Gulf and eastern
Beaufort Sea. The underlying question is whether this is the leading edge
of a phenological shift in a species' migratory behaviour in an environment
undergoing dramatic shifts due to climate change.
A pdf is available for free download here: Bowhead whales overwinter in the
Amundsen Gulf and Eastern Beaufort Sea | Royal Society Open Science
(royalsocietypublishing.org)
<https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.202268>

We hope you enjoy the read and we are welcoming any questions or comments.

Best,
Niki

--
Niki Diogou, PhD
*Post-Doctoral Fellow*

School of Earth and Ocean Sciences, *University of Victoria  *
Western Arctic Program,* Wildlife Conservation Society Canada*

*ndiogou at uvic.ca <ndiogou at uvic.ca>  |  ndiogou at wcs.org <ndiogou at wcs.org>
|  +30 6944 050 050*

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>