[MARMAM] Seminar on the effects of sea otter recolonization in Southeast Alaska

Heidi Pearson hcpearson at alaska.edu
Sun Apr 18 10:09:46 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to a webinar on our Apex Predators, Ecosystems,
and Community Sustainability (APECS) project, where we are examining the
effects of sea otter recolonization in Southeast Alaska. Please find the
details below.

APRIL 23, 2021 8:30am-11:45am Alaska time
Register to receive the Zoom link: https://bit.ly/32dJljc

8:30 AM
Ginny Eckert
Introduction to the Apex Predators, Ecosystems and Community Sustainability
(APECS) program

8:45 AM
Wendel Raymond
Patterns and effects of sea otter harvest in Southeast Alaska

9:00 AM
Nicole LaRoche
Seasonal sea otter diet composition with respect to recolonization and life
history

9:15 AM
Sonia Ibarra
Sea otters, shellfish, and people: Addressing a complex resource conflict
in Southeast Alaska

9:30 AM
Becca Cates
Effects of habitat type and sea otter predation on crab assemblages in
Southeast Alaska

9:45 AM
Ashley Bolwerk
Ecological indicators of the effects of sea otters on abalone density

10:00 AM
break

10:15 AM
Tom Bell
Changes in kelp canopy cover associated with sea otter recovery in the NE
Pacific

10:30 AM
Wendel Raymond
Testing the generality of sea otter‐mediated trophic cascades in seagrass
meadows

10:45 AM
Jessica Saavedra
Testing the effects of recovering sea otters on seagrass ecosystems

11:00 AM
Tiff Stephens
Disturbance by sea otters reduces eelgrass extent in Southeast Alaska

11:15 AM
Lia Domke
Juvenile salmon use of eelgrass meadows in the context of sea otter
recolonization

11:30 AM
Questions and discussion

11:45 AM