[MARMAM] New publication on olfactory abilities in California sea lions

Isabelle Charrier isabelle.charrier at cnrs.fr
Thu Apr 15 08:19:51 PDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

My collaborators and I are pleased to announce our new publication in
Physiology & Behavior entitled "Odor discrimination in terrestrial and
aquatic environments in California sea lions (Zalophus californianus)
living in captivity". https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2021.113408
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2021.113408>

The paper can be found online
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1csCI7Gm%7EFGif
<https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1csCI7Gm%7EFGif>, or you can contact me
for the pdf.

_*Abstract: *_Pinnipeds, as any mammal species, use multimodal signals,
including olfactory ones, to ensure vital functions. Thus, some pinniped
species seem able to use olfaction in both social and foraging contexts
and to discriminate between different odors in air including both
natural and artificial odors, but studies on that topic remain scarce.
Here, we studied the olfactory capabilities of California sea lions
living in captivity at La Flèche Zoo (France) in both terrestrial and
aquatic environments. We used two categories of odors: social odors
(from familiar individuals of the same group, unfamiliar individuals
from another Zoo, animal zookeepers and a terrestrial carnivore) and
non-social odors (food and odors identified as repellents in certain
vertebrates). Several behavioral parameters were measured and analyzed
as the number and duration of contact with the odor, mouth openings,
vocalizations (air only) and air bubble production (water only). Our
results, although limited by the low number of animals monitored
(/n/ = 5), suggest that California sea lions are able to discriminate
between different odors both in the air and under water. In the aquatic
environment, the process allowing the perception of odors remains to be
characterized. Applications to this work could be considered in captive
conditions as well as in the wild.

Best regards,
Isabelle Charrier

Isabelle CHARRIER, DR-CNRS
Acoustic Communications Team, Department Cognition & Network Neuroscience
Institut des Neurosciences Paris Saclay (NeuroPSI), UMR 9197
Université Paris Sud, Bat.446, 91405 Orsay, FRANCE
Tel:+33 (0)1.69.15.68.26	Fax:+33 (0)1.69.15.77.26
Email: isabelle.charrier at cnrs.fr

https://sites.google.com/view/isabelle-charrier
Team website: http://www.cb.u-psud.fr
https://neuropsi.cnrs.fr