[MARMAM] 2021 Marine Mammal Rescue & Rehabilitation Internship Opportunity
heatherh at cawildlife.org
Wed Sep 30 15:32:10 PDT 2020
2021 Marine Mammal Internship Announcement
California Wildlife Center is excited to announce the following internship opportunity for 2021! California Wildlife Center responds to reports of stranded marine mammals 365 days a year along the Malibu Coastline, in Los Angeles County. Our wildlife hospital is in Calabasas, CA. The rehabilitation facility is active during the region’s busiest period for stranded pinnipeds, January through July. We are seeking individuals during the Spring Session.
Session dates: March 1st through the end of May
30-35 hours per week / unpaid
The California Wildlife Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of injured, orphaned, and sick native wildlife. CWC fulfills this mission through marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation, and treatment of avian and terrestrial wildlife in our rehabilitation hospital. This internship will provide an exciting and challenging educational experience in the field of marine mammal rehabilitation.
Under supervision of Marine Mammal staff, experiences will include:
* Assessing stranded marine mammals on the beach
* Assist or lead responder teams in the capture and handling of stranded marine mammals requiring rescue
* Provide appropriate transport conditions for stranded marine mammals to the rehabilitation facility
* Maintain detailed records of daily activity reports of stranding, human interaction, and patient health status
* Perform daily husbandry tasks for pinniped patients admitted to the rehabilitation facility
* Work closely with Marine Mammal department staff to provide patient-specific rehabilitative care
* Adhere to all safety guidelines set forth by California Wildlife Center and the Marine Mammal Department
* Participate in releases of healthy marine mammal patients back to their Pacific Ocean home
* Maintain good rapport with representatives of various public agencies, as well as members of the public
* Assist with marine mammal necropsy and sample collection
NOTE: Due to current Covis-19 safety protocols, changes to the internship program may result, in order to maintain a safe and healthy hospital environment.
Please visit our website for more information and to apply: http://cawildlife.org/volunteer/internshipsexternshipspreceptorships/
Heather A. Henderson
Marine Mammal Program Manager
California Wildlife Center
P.O. Box 2022
Malibu CA 90265
310-458-WILD (9453) x108
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM